Neil Gorsuch, standing before an audience of conservative lawyers in Washington several years ago, decried the thousands of federal criminal statutes on the books. "And the spigot keeps pouring, with hundreds of new statutory crimes inked every few years," Gorsuch, now President Trump's Supreme Court nominee, said then. Gorsuch's confirmation would bring some comfort to the white-collar defense bar and business advocates.
- Orrick hires four-lawyer Clifford Chance Paris team including local competition head
- Q&A: Why Class Action Reform Bill Isn't as Bad as It Seems
- Chhabria, Set to Rule on Actor-Age Law, Spars With Its Defenders
- Are Courts the Next Frontier in Fight Against State Hacking?
- Cleary Gottlieb Publishes Trump 'Social Media Attack' Survival Guide
- The Cyber Divide: Former FCC Cybersecurity Counsel on Government, Corporate Collaboration
The circuit's former chief judge, who pushed to make audio and video of oral arguments available online, hopes other courts are taking note that more than 130,000 people tuned in to listen in real-time to arguments over President Donald Trump's travel ban.
Rod Sorensen, managing partner of the Silicon Valley office of Payne & Fears, a defense litigator for technology companies, in a Q&A, says the big verdict in the whistleblower retaliation lawsuit by fired general counsel Sanford Wadler against his former employer, Bio-Rad, could lead to more such suits. He also says taking such cases to a jury is risky in the current environment.
I refused to report to a person who made me feel uncomfortable. As a result, I was put on a performance plan. I just resigned with a severance, but am totally devastated. How do I address the circumstances of my departure in an interview?
Legal malpractice insurance can save your career and your firm. Although maintaining coverage isn't mandatory in California, it is encouraged. Indeed, for some time, the Rules of Professional Conduct have required California attorneys to disclose to clients if they do not carry malpractice insurance (or if their insurance is terminated during the course of a representation).